Although the date is uncertain, it was around 1845 that a group of people who were committed to following Jesus Christ and teaching the Bible began meeting in homes with the goal of building a place for themselves and their families to worship. In 1852 this group organized as the Freewill Baptist Church and erected a building located just west of First Baptist Church’s present location in Blanchester, OH. This was the beginning of First Baptist Church.
With a history that goes back to 1845, First Baptist church has gone through many changes but one thing has remained constant. Those who make up this church family remain committed to following Jesus Christ and teaching the Bible. The bell used today to announce the beginning of services on Sunday is the original bell installed in 1856.The present brick building was constructed in 1889 and has been the meeting place ever since. This structure has historical significance as the oldest church building in the community. It was in 1913 the name was changed to First Baptist Church.
Over the years there have been many who found First Baptist Church to be a place where they hear the truth of God declared and a place where they can find the support and encouragement to live as a follower of Jesus Christ in the present. While the building and facilities have been renovated and new facilities have been added in an effort to expand ministries and remain relevant one thing has not changed. First Baptist Church remains committed to teaching the Bible and following Jesus as it has from the days of its beginning.
First Baptist Church is presently associated with the Ohio Association of Regular Baptist Churches (www.oarbc.org).